Saturday, June 13, 2009

Guitar Lesson of the Day...Workin out the kinks

Many guitar players, especially those new to the instrument, and some experienced run into a song or a part of a song they just cant get down. It might have to do with not having the ability to play the part, or maybe its a lead run thats too fast etc etc. When I was new to the instrument, like many, there were tons of songs I could not play that I wanted to. I was into alot of different players at the time, being the early 90s, so alot of shredders where still in the spot light. Im going to use Eddie Van Halens Eruption as an example for this lesson. I wanted to play it so bad, but didnt know where to start. The pieces were way beyond my ability. Thats where the lesson comes in.

Those of you who want to be able to shred, play lead, or just have control over your instrument, I do recommend using exercises to get there. They can be boring, and hard at first, but have patience, put in the time, start slow, and you WILL see results, and once you do, getting better becomes addictive. I will put plenty of exercises up in future posts, but now back to being able to play that difficult piece of a song, or the whole song.

You have to build your chops in order to be able to play certain things, and thats something I personally didint understand in the early days of my playing. I also recomment breaking those parts out and making exercises out of them. Play them on different parts of the neck. If there is a legato piece, do legato exercises. Speed picking the same. Nothing is easy in life, and that goes for being a super shredding guitar hero too. Hope this lesson helped alittle, be back with plenty more.

Keep Rockin!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Stratoblogster! Welcome to the bloggosphere! Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot, I appreciate the warm welcome!!!!

    ReplyDelete